english polski
 
Search
July 10, 2012

History

The old energy production area in the Suvilahti district of Helsinki transferred to the administration of the real estate company Kiinteistö Oy Kaapelitalo at the beginning of 2008. In the coming years the area will be developed into a cultural centre. Suvilahti will be utilised for cultural activities and business supporting these activities.


• 1907: decision taken to construct electrical power plant beside Suvilahti Bay in the Sörnäinen district of Helsinki.
• 14 July 1909: inauguration of power plant designed by architect Selim A. Lindqvist.
• expansions and extensions in the 1930s, ‘40s and ‘50s.
• 1976: power plant operations discontinued at Suvilahti.
• 1978-1980: interior facilities emptied.
• early 1980s: renovation – power plant converted into a warehouse and exercise facilities for employees of Helsinki Energy.
• 1980s: first used for cultural projects, including KOM Theatre 1981-82 and a film studio.
• 2000s: business activities and photography studios.
• 2007 March-October: mayor’s committee considers future of area.
• 30 October 2007: proposal to transfer administration to Kiinteistö Oy Kaapelitalo (Real Estate Company Kaapelitalo).
• 1 January 2008: Suvilahti becomes part of Kaapelitalo’s administration.



Documentary about Suvilahti



It's interesting that this factory enviroment attracts artists. Maybe that spirit of doing is still here."
- Power plant worker since 1958

Click here to go to suvilahti!

Suvilahti GUIDE ( see page 14-39! )

Open publication - Free publishing


Blog - Latest entries

  1. WORKSHOP FILMS (August 18, 2014) >>
  2. FILM ASSIGNMENTS (July 12, 2012) >>
  3. MOTION DESIGN (July 11, 2012) >>
  4. Cinema and Poetic Imagery (July 10, 2012) >>
  5. Inspirations (July 10, 2012) >>
  6. INTERVENTIONS IN CITY SPACE (July 10, 2012) >>
  7. History (July 10, 2012) >>
  8. Wastelands EASA Helsinki (July 10, 2012) >>
  9. MONTAGE (July 9, 2012) >>